Southwest Michigan visitors discover what residents have long known: that nothing beats Kalamazoo live theatre productions. We are blessed with high-caliber theatre companies in Kalamazoo offering dramas, musicals, and comedies in auditorium and cabaret settings, and they are all just a comfortable walk or a short drive from the Kalamazoo House B&B. Combine them with dozens of fine restaurants with innovative menus, and a perfect night of "dinner and a show" can be in your future nearly anytime.
Kalamazoo Theatres Present 2015-2016 Seasons
Below is a preview of all this season's schedules, along with links to the theatres for more information. Find your performance, and remember to book your room! You might also want to check out Theatre Kalamazoo---an updated calendar of performances.
Kalamazoo Civic Theatre (2 min walk)
Founded in 1929, the Civic Theatre is one of the oldest and one of the most well-respected community
theatres in the country. Just 1/2 block from the Kalamazoo House B&B, Kalamazoo's Civic Theatre
presents a full schedule of quality dramas, comedies and musicals. Here's a look at the 2014-2015 season:
- Evita: September 25 - October 10
The State Theatre (6 min walk)
- The State is a gorgeous, classic old Gothic venue--intimate and visually stunning, yet casual and down-to-earth with Bell's Beer on tap. This is Steve and Steph's favorite place to see a rock concert or touring act.
Farmers Alley Theatre (9 min walk)
Since Farmers Alley Theatre's founding in 2008, this ensemble-based performance company has generated
a lot of buzz for the professional caliber of both popular and new works in an intimate setting. Just a short
walk from the Kalamazoo House B&B. The 2014-2015 season includes:
- Vanya & Sonia and Masha + Spike - February 6-22
- The Glass Menagerie - April 10-26
- Dogfight - June 5-21
- The Great American Trailer Park Christmas Musical - July 7 - August 9
Chenery Auditorium (8 min walk)
- A local and recently refurbished gem that hosts a wide variety of local events. Chenery is located in the historic Old Central High School building, which has been preserved and still houses a Math and Science Center upstairs.
Miller Auditorium (best driven, 35 min walk)
Beautiful Miller Auditorium, on the campus of Western Michigan University, brings in national tours of
Broadway shows and a long list of other touring events and shows. A short drive from the Kalamazoo
House B&B, Miller's 2016-2016 season includes:
- The Second City: Friday, September 25, 2015 @ 8 p.m.
- The Illusionists: Wednesday & Thursday, October 7 & 8, 2015 @ 7:30 p.m.
- The Texas Tenors: Friday, October 16, 2015 @ 8 p.m.
- Jersey Boys: Tuesday, October 20 – Sunday, October 25, 2015, Times Vary
- Cirque Mechanics: Pedal Punk: Sunday, November 1, 2015 @ 3 p.m.
- All Hands On Deck! The Musical: Sunday, November 15, 2015 @ 3 p.m.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus: Saturday, January 16, 2016 @ 8 p.m.
- Momix: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Ira Glass: Sunday, January 24, 2016 @ 3 p.m.
- Once: Monday & Tuesday, January 25 & 26, 2016 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Golden Dragon Acrobats Present Cirque Zíva: Saturday, February 20, 2016 @ 8 p.m.
- Chicago: Monday, February 29 & Tuesday, March 1, 2016 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Dancing in the Streets Motown Revue: Saturday, March 19, 2016 @ 8 p.m.
- Riverdance: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 @ 7:30 p.m.
- Garrison Keillor: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 @ 7:30 p.m.
New Vic Theatre (15 min walk)
For over 40 years, Kalamazoo's New Vic Theatre has provided a tradition of excellence in Southwest Michigan theatre in an intimate, cabaret-style environment. Just a nice stroll, or a very short drive, from the Kalamazoo House B&B, the New Vic's 2014 season still includes:
- May 15th through June 13th, An Evening with Rogers & Hammerstein, A Musical Revue
- June 26th through August 1st, See How They Run!, A British farce by Philip King
- ugust 14th through September 26th, Once...Twice...Thrice, The Best of the Odyssey, The New Vic's Original Folk Music Trilogy
- October 9th through November 7th, Dracula, The classic returns
- Holidays at the New Vic beginning November 20, A Christmas Carol, 36th Annual Production of Ted Kistler's acclaimed adaptation of Charles Dickens' holiday classic.
- December 7 - 9, At This Special Time, The 49th Annual presentation of The New Vic Theatre Chorus celebration of the words and music of Christmas.
WMU Theatre Department's University Theatre (best driven, 25 min walk)
A regular winner of American College Theatre Festival awards, WMU’s Department of Theatre is widely recognized as one of the nation’s best undergraduate programs and this theater regularly challenges and delights audiences. Located just a short drive from the Kalamazoo House B&B.
- The Whale - January 23rd – February 8
- Gaslight - February 6 - 15 (promotional photographs shot here at the Kalamazoo House)
- Charlotte’s Web - March 20 – 29
- Tony ’n Tina’s Wedding - March 26th – April 12
- Man of La Mancha - April 10 – 19